demonstrative or pronoun?

Anaid Donabedian anaid.donabedian at INALCO.FR
Sun Aug 9 09:10:23 UTC 2009

Dear David,

In Armenian (both eastern and western), which is a pro-drop language,
one can both say :
(1)
Hovannes-n e
John-DEF  is
(it's John)
Note that there is an obligatory focus stress on Hovannes, because of
the preverbal position.
(2)
One can also say (in order to avoid the 3d person interpretation if the
context allow it) :
Yes em, Hovhannes-e
I am, John-DEF
(it's me, John)
Here the focus stress is on "yes" (I/me)

The use of first person is possible only if you present yourself to
people who don't know you (answer to question "who are you") :
(3)
(Yes) Hovannes-n em
I am John (... I am American, I live here for one year, etc.)
(focus stress on Hovannes)

Demonstrative is possible only with deictic function (showing somebody
on a photo)
Sa yes em
this I am

Best regards
Anaid

--
Anaid Donabedian-Demopoulos
Professeur d'armenien

Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales
2 rue de Lille
75007 Paris

www.inalco.fr
http://a.donabedian.free.fr

Bureau rue de Lille : +33 170232647 (attention, nouveau numero)
Bureau Belle Gabrielle : +33 180519523
Maison : +33 146120006