Are phrases universal?

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Fri Aug 28 07:15:08 UTC 2009

Dear Alexander,
I'm left with the impression that Bussmann's definition of 'phrase' it
not very helpful. In fact, it is more synonymic in nature than
explanatory: "A set of X = Phrase = Constituent".
In other words, a phrase would be a constituent (or vice versa). Hence,
you might also ask: Are constituents universal? Also note that Bussmann
does not explain what she means by 'set': Does this necessarily include
more than one element? What about one word NPs such as Turkic [/k?z/]NP
[/at]/NP/ görüyor/ (girl horse see(s)')? And: What is a "syntactic
element"? In my opinion, 'elements' (whatever these again are)  can only
/behave/ syntactically (elements are not syntactic by nature), in case
they are construed as or perceived as parts of a syntactic chain. In
other words: 'Phrases' can only be defined by reference to a 'higher'
level, say a structured utterance (or: sentence, or: clause). 'Phrase'
is thus a relational term ('phrase [as a part] of X') and its definition
/ delimitation necessarily invokes an depends from hypotheses /models
about the structure of the whole. The definition of 'phrase' thus is
theory-dependent, as it is true for any claim related to its alleged
universality. Take an example: In the sentence /the woman went into the
garden/, a the structure into the garden is conventionally termed a
PP-Phrase (NP + V(P) + PP). However, other approaches interpret the
preposition into as being part of the VP (the woman went=into the
garden), leading to NP + VP + NP. Naturally, the isolation of phrases
may be supported by morphosyntactic evidence, that is by morphological
elements that specialize for the encoding of phrase-internal structures.
Likewise, features of movement may (!) help to delimit phrases (to the
extent a language allows movement at all). In addition, you may apply a
construction grammar-like model claiming that a phrase is an abstract
linguistic sign that relates a (set of) articulated /signifiants/ to a
specific conceptual domain (/signifié/), such as NP <=> Reference, VP
<=> Conceptual Relator. If one assumes (as I do) that every linguistic
utterance is grounded in the interaction of cognitive reference and
relator patterns ( R -> R in my terms), phrases must be present in any
kind of utterance and must be universal. But as I said: All this is
heavily theory-dependent. Anyway, the search for merely 'linguistic
arguments' (in terms of e.g. Basic Linguistic Theory) without reference
to the functionality of the conceptual 'whole' (to which phrases) belong
does seem to give definite results.
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze    *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486
(Secretary)

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343