[FUNKNET] Query on structural properties

Joan Bybee jbybee at UNM.EDU
Sat Dec 19 00:03:06 UTC 2009

I think Tom is correct that some languages take grammaticalization
further than others, and this applies to both form and meaning (as shown
in The evolution of language 1994 Bybee, Perkins and Pagliuca). Our data
suggest not that this is just where a language is on the cycle, but
rather that it can be a stable feature of a language. Otherwise all
languages would have structures at all stages of grammaticalization.
Instead, what happens in languages that do not grammaticalize enough to
reach the stage of inflection is that newly grammaticalizing structures
take over and replace the maturing ones before they get a chance to go
too far. I suspect that this is related to a cultural/discourse
phenomenon--the type of inferences a speaker/hearer makes in
conversation. This is articulated in my paper in Essays on Language
Function and Language Type: Dedicted to T. Givon (1997). See also
discussion on southeast Asian languages by Walter. Bisang.

Dan Everett should also look at R. Perkins Grammar, Deixis and Culture
1992 for a methodologically excellent study of the relation between
certain cultural features and grammar.

Joan Bybee