[FUNKNET] Query on structural properties

dlevere at ILSTU.EDU dlevere at ILSTU.EDU
Sat Dec 19 12:48:38 UTC 2009

Wolfgang, Osten, and all,

I agree that culture, language, and cognition are bandied about
without much effort to define them. I try to do this in my book. Most
anthropologists deny the existence of some concrete entity, Culture,
just as linguists recognize that there is no such entity, Language.
Both are idealizations. Your tables become much more complicated when
we break culture down into individual values and language into
individual constructions, rules, principles, etc. Not only that, as I
also say in the book and many other places, the relationships are not
binary. It's just that the major research programs around them are
based on binary relationships, wrongly in my opinion. They are
symbiotically related to each other and to other things, such as
biology, material existence, and so on. The issues are much more
complex than even your charts.

Osten is right about Piraha morphology. It is extremely complex. Every
Piraha verb has as many as 65,000-100,000 possible forms depending on
how finely the suffixes are split (sometimes I realize how difficult
it is to distinguish valid divisions, e.g. English -ed and -s from
things that Hjemslev warned about e.g. the th- of then, though, than,
etc. or the wh- of why, when, and what). Piraha is no pidgin language!
It is an incredibly complex and rich system that chooses to place the
majority of its morphosyntactic complexity in discourse and word
structure rather than sentences and phrases.

Dan