Is it possible to verify the genetic taxa of world languages by typological methods?

Søren Wichmann wichmann at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Dec 20 16:54:45 UTC 2009

This paper gives a qualitative answer
Polyakov, Vladimir N., Valery D. Solovyev, Søren Wichmann, and Oleg
Belyaev. 2009. Using WALS and Jazyki Mira. Linguistic Typology 13: 135-165.
There is a prepublication version here:
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/Comparing%20WALS%20and%20Jazyki%20Mira%20Final.pdf

The short answer is: yes, languages can be genealogically classified by
means of typological data, but it takes a lot of such data to get an
accurate classification.

Søren.