Is it possible to verify the genetic taxa of world languages by typological methods?

Søren Wichmann wichmann at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Dec 20 19:07:52 UTC 2009

The paper in Language by Dunn et al. isn't very different from their
earlier paper in Science. The authors claim there that typological
features can somehow take us further back in time than the comparative
method, which is highly doubtful. Their 2005 paper was criticized by
Donohue and Musgrave (2007), to which Dunn et al. replied in the same
year, and Donohue et al. (2008) is then a reply to the reply. Finally,
Donohue (2009) again makes the point that the high diffusibility of
typological features make their distribution more prone to correlate
with geography than with linguistic phylogenies.

Soeren.