Query: Case for ?approximate location?

Hannu Tommola Hannu.Tommola at UTA.FI
Sat Feb 7 08:03:14 UTC 2009

In Finnish, like in Hungarian, there is the directional postposition
_päin_ /with a-Umlaut/ (derived from the noun pää 'head') that can be
used to denote approximate location (or other kind of approximate
statement).

It is used as a local postposition with three different case markings,
depending on the direction meant:

_Turu-sta päin_
Turku-ELAT päin
'from the direction of Turku' or 'from somewhere around Turku'

_Turu-ssa päin_
Turku-INESS päin
'in the direction of Turku'

_Turku-un päin_
Turku-ILLAT päin
'towards / to the direction of Turku'

Notice that _directional_ notion cannot be anything else as
approximate when applied to _location_ somewhere (the INESS use).

Examples of approximate locative uses:

_Missä sä näitkään niitä sieniä? - Ne oli jossain tuolla päin_
'Where did you see those mushrooms? - They were somewhere over there'

_Missä se Pekka asuu? - Jossain Joensuussa päin, en muista tarkkaaan missä_
'Where does (that) Pekka live? - Somewhere towards Joensuu, I don't
remember exactly where'
(N.B. the translation of _Joensuussa päin_ as 'towards Joensuu' does
not need to mean that the place referred to must be located between
the speech location and Joensuu)

Examples of other approximate uses:

_se on majuri tai jotain sinne päin_
he is major or something thereto POSTP (päin)
'he is a major or something like that'

_10 tai jotain sinne päin_
10 or something thereto POSTP (päin)
'approximately 10'

Best regards,
Hannu Tommola

--
Hannu Tommola, Professor of Russian Language (Translation Theory and Practice)
School of Modern Languages and Translation Studies