query: sarcastic antonymic nicknames

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Nov 24 15:57:29 UTC 2009

Dear all,

On my latest visit to Roon, a small island off the Birds Head of New
Guinea, I met somebody with the Papuan Malay nickname "Pace Putih".
"Pace" is a male-person term of address, while "Putih" means 'white'.
People explained to me that he was called "Pace Putih" because -- ha ha
-- he was by far the *darkest*-skinned person in the village.

What struck me was (a) how immediately accessible to me the sarcastic
nature of the nickname was; and (b) how in nearly two decades of
experience in other parts of "Indonesia proper", I had never encountered
a similar example of what I am calling here a Sarcastic Antonymic
Nickname.

Subsequent inquiries amongst colleagues in Indonesia revealed no known
examples of Sarcastic Antonymic Nicknames, and a few colleagues actually
went further, claiming that "we don't say things that way".  This
suggests that there might be a real difference here between Papua and
other parts of Indonesia.

So the purpose of this query is to try and map out the cross-linguistic
distribution of Sarcastic Antonymic Nickames: a thin person called
"fatso", somebody with long hair referred to as "baldy", a stupid person
known as "prof", etc.  I would greatly appreciate any real live examples
you might be familiar with of such Sarcastic Antonymic Nicknames: in
your own native language or in languages you have worked on; among your
own circle of acquaintances, or in texts you have collected, or even
cases that are generally known (public figures, fictitious characters in
novels, movies, etc.), or whatever.  I would also be really interested
in claims to the effect that a certain language does *not* have
Sarcastic Antonymic Nicknames, though of course such negative claims are
much harder to support.

(Note: I am not interested in examples of the relatively well-known
phenomenon whereby babies are given names expressing undesirable
qualities in the hope that this will ward off the evil eye or whatnot,
and that the baby will grow up to have the opposite qualities: although
such cases may end up as de facto antonymic, they lack the crucial
feature that I am interested in here, namely, sarcasm.)

My more general interest is in the ways in which sarcasm and irony may
differ cross-linguistically.   I have long had the feeling that sarcasm
never seems to work for me in Indonesia, and other expats I have spoken
to in Indonesia have reported similar experiences.  One is tempted to
say that Indonesians don't "do" sarcasm, but this is not true: our own
naturalistic corpora contain quite a few examples of utterances that
have, for good reason, been tagged as sarcastic.  So maybe Indonesians
do sarcasm differently.  This query is a first attempt towards putting
such gut-feeling claims on a firmer empirical foundation.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/