West Sumatra Earthquake Relief

gil at EVA.MPG.DE gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Oct 8 13:32:49 UTC 2009

Dear all,

You have undoubtedly heard about the earthquake that hit Padang and
West Sumatra province in Indonesia on September 30th.  A little over a
week later, people are still buried under the earth and rubble, and
the full extent of the devastation is not yet known.

As some of you already know, the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary
Anthropology has a Field Station in Jakarta, with a branch office at
Universitas Bung Hatta in Padang.  After a few anxious days, we were
relieved to learn that all our assistants in Padang were alive and
well, and miraculously, our office also emerged unscathed.  However,
many other people were not as lucky as we were.

Betty Litamahuputty of the MPI EVA Jakarta Field Station has been
organizing a relief operation for the victims of the earthquake, and
some of our Padang assistants are already in the field distributing
aid ? food packages, tents, and so forth ? purchased with the
donations that have started to come in.  You can read more about
Betty?s relief operation at
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~taylor/aardbeving/index.html.

But we need more money.  Donations to the relief operation can be sent
to the following bank account:

Bank: ING-bank
Address: Breestraat 46
Place: Leiden, Netherlands
Bank account number: 3748676
IBAN: NL65INGB0003748676
BIC: INGBNL2A
Account holder's name: Mrs. B.H.J. Litamahuputty
Address:  Paramaribostraat 117, 2315 VH Leiden, The Netherlands

Any amount, however small or large, will be greatly appreciated.  Some
people prefer to donate to the big established NGOs and relief funds,
and indeed they are capable of doing many things that individuals like
us cannot.  But on the other hand, we are there, now, delivering the
aid where it counts, and with zero overhead costs: every single penny
that you contribute will reach a needy person.

Many of you went to Padang in 2005 for the 6th meeting of the
Association of Linguistic Typology, and returned with warm memories of
the hospitality of the Minangkabau people of West Sumatra.  Now,
unfortunately, they are in need of our help.

Thank you,

David Gil
(for Betty Litamahuputty)

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/