Fwd: Composed number: noun + numeral RE: Composed number (also called "double plural")

Thomas Hanke thhanke at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 13 15:02:35 UTC 2009

Dear Bernhard,

Urmas' Estonian data reminded me of Finnish (well, rather trivial) and numerals.

I guess there exist collective nouns in Finnish, too.
But what came to my mind is another issue, plurals of numerals used
for sets, discussed by Hurford (2001) for Finnish (with hints to
Estonian and a more limited use for 1 to 4 in Icelandic). It's in
subsubsubsection 3.3.3.3 "Meaning of whole NP determines number of
numeral and noun"
This is probably not exactly what you are searching for but may be
interesting, too, since a grammatically singular form of a nominal is
opposed to a plural form.

In Finnish, the plural form of *numerals* from 1 upwards yields a
collective reading.
This is not limited to shoes, eyes, etc. but more or less acceptable
depending on various factors.
Hurford's description includes hints to distributive readings, too, up
to 'three rounds of beer'.

I know it's open to discussion but one could analyse even a formally
singular forms such as 'three car' as semantically plural due to the
numeral.
Then
'three-PL car-PL' = 'three sets of cars'
is a composite plural form of the collective / plural
'one-PL car-PL' = 'one set of cars'

Best,

Thomas
=====

Hurford, James. 2001. The interaction between numerals and nouns. In:
Plank, Frans (ed.), Noun Phrase Structure in the Languages of Europe,
561–620. Berlin, New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

--

Thomas Hanke

--

Thomas Hanke