O-only agreement

Randy LaPolla r.lapolla at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 21 01:44:23 UTC 2009

Dear Dan,
In saying "There is no formal motivation to label any of these participants
in the syntactic terms of grammatical relations (subject, direct object,
indirect object), grammatical cases (nominative, accusative, dative or
ergative, absolutive, oblique), or semantic roles (agent, patient,
recipient)" you seem to imply that agreement must be marking grammatical or
semantic role, but hierarchical systems, where the marking reflects a
participant according to a person hierarchy (often 1>2>3) regardless of
semantic or grammatical role, are usually also talked about as agreement
systems.

On the idea of a language not having an alignment type, I have been arguing
for many years that Chinese and some Tibeto-Burman languages have not
grammaticalised the sort of constructional pivots, or restricted
neutralisations, that we associate with the different alignment systems. I
have called Chinese a "neutral" language, though it is, as you say, more
lack of any particular alignment, as it has a simple topic-comment
structure.

Some references:
LaPolla, Randy J. 2009. “Chinese as a Topic-Comment (Not Topic-Prominent and
Not SVO) Language”. In Studies of Chinese Linguistics: Functional
Approaches, ed. by Janet Xing, 9-22. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.
http://tibeto-burman.net/rjlapolla/papers/Chinese_as_Topic-Comment_Language.
pdf

LaPolla, Randy J. & Dory Poa. 2006. “On Describing Word Order”. Catching
Language: The Standing Challenge of Grammar Writing, ed. by Felix Ameka,
Alan Dench, & Nicholas Evans, 269-295. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
http://tibeto-burman.net/rjlapolla/papers/describingwo.pdf

LaPolla, Randy J. 1993. "Arguments Against 'Subject' and 'Direct Object' as
Viable Concepts in Chinese." Bulletin of the Institute of History and
Philology 63.4:759-813.
http://tibeto-burman.net/rjlapolla/papers/subjobj.pdf

LaPolla, Randy J. 1992. "On the Dating and Nature of Verb Agreement in
Tibeto Burman." Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies
55.2:298-315.
http://tibeto-burman.net/rjlapolla/papers/LaPolla-Dating_and_Nature_of_Verb_
Agreement_in_TB.pdf

On grammatical relations see also

LaPolla, Randy J. 2006. “On Grammatical Relations as Constraints on Referent
Identification”. Voice and Grammatical Relations: Festschrift for Masayoshi
Shibatani (Typological Studies in Language), ed. by Tasaku Tsunoda and Taro
Kageyama, 139-151. Amsterdam & Philadelphia: John Benjamins Pub. Co.
http://tibeto-burman.net/rjlapolla/papers/tsl6506.pdf

LaPolla, Randy J. 2006. "The how and why of syntactic relations". Invited
plenary address and keynote of the Centre for Research on Language Change
Workshop on Grammatical Change at the Annual Conference of the Australian
Linguistics Society, University of Queensland, 7-9 July, 2006.
http://tibeto-burman.net/rjlapolla/papers/How_and_why_of_syntactic_relations
.pdf

Van Valin, Robert D., Jr. & Randy J. LaPolla. 1997. Syntax: Structure,
meaning and function. Cambridge University Press. (See Chapter 6)

Randy

---
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA
Chair of Linguistics
Director, Research Centre for Linguistic Typology

La Trobe University, VIC 3086 AUSTRALIA
Tel.: +61 3 9479-2555; FAX: +61 3 9479-1520
RCLT: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/rclt/
Linguistics: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/linguistics/
The Tibeto-Burman Domain: http://tibeto-burman.net/
Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area: http://stedt.berkeley.edu/ltba/