Honorary Doctor of Letters for Ernie Grant

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at LIVE.COM
Wed Apr 14 04:41:02 UTC 2010

Dear Typologists,

Ernie Grant, a notable elder of the Jirrbal tribe, will be honoured by an Honorary Doctor of Letters degree from James Cook University on 17 April 2010.

Attached is the statement of his achievements leading to this award.

It is worth noting that Ernie is the son of Chloe Grant, Bob Dixon's first and great teacher of Dyirbal.. He is one of the last remaining speakers of the language.

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA
Professor and Research Leader (Peoples and Societies of the Tropics)
The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
PO Box 6811
Cairns