pronominal systems

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 6 15:26:36 UTC 2010

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the "pejorative emphatic" meaning can be
expressed in Tamil using a combination of an emphatic second-person pronoun
and a reflexive (actually "self-benefactive") verb:

Nī.y=ē paṇṇi.k-kō
2SG-EMPH do-REFL
'Do it yourself.'

However, this can be used not only in a rebuttal ("Fine! Go do it
yourself!"), but also in a more neutral way ("All right, if you want to do
it yourself, you may."). In either case, though, it specifically entails, "I
won't help you"; the difference is whether the withholding of assistance is
in accordance with the addressee's wishes.

This isn't a pronominal category, of course (the emphatic marker can attach
to any NP, as well as to other kinds of constituents). But a case could
probably be made that this structure (emphatic pronoun + self-benefactive
verb) is conventionally associated with some kind of rejection of
responsibility.

I hope this is of some relevance.

Siva