hear

Larisa Leisio Larisa.Leisio at UTA.FI
Tue Feb 2 09:15:16 UTC 2010

Hi!

In Nganasan (Northern Samoyedic) d'indis'i means 'to hear', 'to obey'
and 'to understand' (perfective). Having told me a short story the
story teller asked me 'D'indi"eng?' = Have you understood? (double
quotation mark for glottal stop).
dil's'itis'i to hear, to obey, to understand (imperfective)
The following was said by the native speaker:
sïtï n'intï d'ils'iti".
s/he NEG hear.CNG
he does not hear / he does not understand
kou-gu?-ti d'ils'itindi-?.
ear-PRT-PX3>PL hear-3PL
although his ears hear
siti n'inti d'ils'iti? hunsee s'ied´e-meni
s/he NEG.3 hear.CNG other tongue-PRO[prolative]
he does not understand foreign language

Best

Larisa

--
Larisa Leisiö (Leisioe),PhD

Research Fellow
Academy of Finland/School of Modern Languages and Translation Studies
FI-33014 University of Tampere
Finland
fax +358 3 3551 6753

Mobile phones: