[FUNKNET] 'Hear' as 'understand'

rebecca voll rebecca_voll at YAHOO.DE
Tue Feb 2 11:12:16 UTC 2010

Dear Nino,

Also Cameroonian Pidgin uses hear to mean 'hear' as well as 'understand',

a no de hear weti yu de tok. = I don't understand what you are saying.

The same is the case for Mundabli, a Beboid, Bantoid language where wu 'hear' is also used in the sense of 'understand' and 'feel' (also in varieties of Cam Pidgin - probably substrate influence).

Groetjes,
Rebecca