'Hear'/'understand' in lexical databases

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Feb 3 06:21:59 UTC 2010

I look forward to seeing the Moscow "Database of semantic shifts in the
languages of the world" mentioned by Dmitry Ganenko.

Meanwhile, it is possible to get some insight into such polysemies using
the World Loanword Database, which has about 1500 words (corresponding
to 1460 predefined meanings) for each of 41 languages. Here are the
words for 'hear': http://wold.livingsources.org/meaning/15.41, and here
are the words for 'understand':
http://wold.livingsources.org/meaning/17.16. It can be readily seen that
there is some overlap, e.g. Mapudungun allkün
(http://wold.livingsources.org/word/7211254312634453).

Other polysemies are just as common in this database, however ('listen',
'obey', 'feel', 'smell'). And as Ekkehard König points out, 'understand'
and 'hear' are very rough categories that need to be differentiated further.

Another cross-linguistic lexical database that has the counterparts of
'hear' and 'understand' in many languages is the Intercontinental
Dictionary Series (http://lingweb.eva.mpg.de/ids/); this database does
not explicitly distinguish polysemy from homonymy, but when one form
corresponds to 'hear' and 'understand', we can of course assume polysemy.

Martin Haspelmath