Question about answers

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Mon Jan 4 22:56:38 UTC 2010

Interesting observation, Eitan. The juxtaposition of Coptic with Celtic is
striking. (Is Theo Vennemann listening in?) But the use of a pro-verb
seems to be very widespread. Jan Anward's point about Swedish suggests
that yes/no interjections may often be a later layer. I think of English
formulaic responses like "I will", "I do", "I so swear", and the Old High
German "ih forsahhu" in response to "Forsahhistu diavalon?" "Do you
forsake the Devil?" in the Weissenburg Catechism, which may represent the
older state of affairs.

Malay has much of interest here too, but I'll leave that to David.

Paul

--
Prof. Dr. Paul J. Hopper
Senior Fellow