Expression of threat

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 11 11:17:39 UTC 2010

In (American) English, one could say, "I'll teach him to walk in my garden!"
(or, in less standard English, "I'll learn him!"). I wonder if the Russian
construction evolved from something similar, since in both cases the
addressee of the threat is expressed as an indirect object and the
threatener as the subject.
Siva