threats

Thomas Blecke thomas_blecke at SIL.ORG
Tue Jan 12 09:09:06 UTC 2010

dear all,
two real threat constructions in my variety of standard German come to
mind, both with a specific intonation contour:
1.   ICH will dir HELfen!   lit.: 'I want to help you!', but with this
intonation, unequivocally: Don't do/say that again, or I'll show you!

2.   Ich SAGE dir gleich: "..."!      lit.: I will tell you in a moment:
"..." ("..." being sth. unpleasant that the addressee has just said),
but with this specific intonation (strong accent on /sage /+ rising
contour of the citation): Don't do/say that again, or I'll show you!

Best,
Thomas