betting questionniare

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Wed Jan 13 10:42:17 UTC 2010

Prof. Paolo Ramat
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS)
Responsabile della classe di Scienze Umane
V.le Lungo Ticino Sforza 56, 27100 Pavia - Italia
Tel. +39 0382 375811 Fax +39 0382 375899

----- Original Message -----
From: "Siewierska, Anna" <a.siewierska at LANCASTER.AC.UK>
To: <LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:25 PM
Subject: betting questionniare

Dear colleague,

We are doing a survey on betting constructions and would very much
appreciate your help. Below is a short questionniare with a number of
questions relating to various aspects of betting constuctions. If you could
answer any of these with respect to your native langauge or any other
language that you know we would be very grateful.   We suspect that the
constructions that we are after may not be present in all languages.
However, we have good reason to believe that betting constructions are not
restricted to just European languages.

We have already had some interesting responses from several colleagues who
we approached individually for which we are very grateful. We will post
these together with any repsonses that we get now once we have collated all
the information.

If you have any other observations about the linguistic expression of bets
not covered by the questionniare, please do share them with us.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dan Ponsford, Anna Siewierska, Willem Hollmann

Lancaster University

Questionniare

Please give the name of your language (including variety).
ITALIAN (standard variety)

Here is a little scenario: I ask my mother to do something. She may
remember; she may forget. I say to you:

"I bet you fifty dollars she forgets"

Please answer the following questions.

(1) How would you express the sequence in quotes most naturally in your
language? Please gloss your example.

a.  Scommetto  50 dollari che   dimentica
    I.bet                             that  forgets

b. Ci                                                scommetto 50 che
dimentica
    here, in the present situation

(Note: *you* is omitted, since usually one bets  his/her interlocutor. A
sentence like *Scommetto con te [lit.:with you]  50 dollari* sounds
overabundant. But
*Scommetto con lui [lit.:with him] 50 dollari* is fine.  Furthermore, Ital.
being a pro-drop lg., needs not to express "she". As for b., the verb
*scommetterci* [1st sg, pres. *ci scommetto*] has more or less the same
meaning as *scommettere*, the clitic *ci* adds a note of  'hic et nunc')

Betting is often done on sports. Here is a second little scenario:

Me and my brother are watching a football match between Manchester United
and Barcelona. He says that Manchester United will win. But I think
Barcelona will win. I say to him:

"I bet you fifty dollars Barcelona win"
Scommetto 50 dollari che   il B.      vince
I.bet                           that  the B.    wins

(2) How would you express the sequence in quotes? Please gloss your example.

??

(3) If your answer to (1) or (2) used a word specifically meaning 'bet' or
'to bet', does this word have any senses other than the betting sense?
No: *scommettere* has a very specialized meaning

(4) If your answer to (1) mentioned 'I' and 'you', is it also possible to
express the same meaning without mentioning 'I', without mentioning 'you',
or without mentioning either? If so, please give examples.

See my note to (1)

(5) Is there a conventional way of agreeing to a bet in your language? In
English, bets are conventionally accepted with expressions such as "Done!"
or "You're on!"

(6) Can a construction similar to the one in your answer to (1) be used to
show how strongly one believes a proposition to be true? For example, in
English it is possible to say the following with no gambling intention.

I bet you anything they won't come

I bet you they won't come

I bet they won't come

If this is possible in your language, could you provide a glossed example.
If it is not possible, how would you express the same meaning?

(7) How would you express the following in your language? Please give
glossed examples.

I'll give you fifty dollars

I promise you fifty dollars

I promise you she'll forget

I predict that she'll forget

I will put the money there

There may be aspects of betting constructions that occurred to you but are
not covered by these questions. If you'd like to comment further, please do
so.

Many thanks for your help.