Snowman or snowwoman?

Florian Siegl florian.siegl at GMX.NET
Sun Jan 24 10:13:22 UTC 2010

Kazuto - a very appropriate question on the Northern Hemisphere on a
cold but sunny Sunday in the end of January (even when there is no snow
in Tokyo).  Here in Tartu (Estonia), it is -23C and we have a lot of
snow and one finds 'snow grannies' all over town.

E.g. Russian from the which the Estonian 'snow granny' seems to be
borrowed: /snezhnaja baba/ 'снежная баба'. Russian has also /snegovik
/снеговик for 'snowman' but I think that snezhnaja baba is more common
in colloquial Russian, but I'm not a native speaker of Russian...

Finnish is slightly pejorative too, but has 'snow old.man' /lumi_ukko
/which seems to have come via Swedish /snö_gubbe/' snow old.man'.
English /snowman/ and German /Schneemann/ are at least neutral as 'man'
is not further specified. Hungarian shows a third kind of 'unisex'
solution as /hó_ember /could be translated as either 'snow person' or
'snow man', depending on individual preferences. It would be interesting
to see how Russian 'snow granny' would turn up in other languages of
Russia, but I'm afraid that such a word is not listed in the usual
dictionaries. For Udmurt (Permic-Uralic), I found lymy_adjami лымыадями
in a recent dictionary which means either 'snow person' or 'snow man',
again, depending on one's preferred translation. Other dictionaries
(whether those of Turkic or Uralic languages) I have at home had no
entry for this. The only exception is Dolgan, but the phrasal
construction 'an old woman made out of snow' makes me believe that this
is not spoken Dolgan.

A question which looks equally interesting are equivalents of German
/Schneeballschlacht /'snowball fight' - any languages out there which
have a more peaceful solution?

Cheers, Florian Siegl

Univeristy of Tartu