Ergative pattern of imperatives?

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Tue Mar 2 17:35:43 UTC 2010

Dear friends,
just a brief question: Abkhaz and Abaza (West Caucasian) are known for
having a rather unusual (?) pattern of imperative formation: In both
languages, 'true' imperatives (that is: second person imperatives) of
intransitive verbs are marked for the presence of the corresponding
'absolutive' agreement morpheme, e.g./ w-c'a/ 'go (man)!',/ b-c'a/ 'go
(woman)!', /shw-c'a/ 'go you (all)!' and so forth. With transitive
verbs, this agreement marker is missing in the singular - instead, the
verb shows the 'absolutive' marker for the Objective (/y/- for
inanimates, /d/- for animates), e.g/. y-ga/ 'take (it)!', /d-ga/ 'take
(him/her!)',/ d-sh'e^/ 'kill (him/her)'. Note that in the plural, the
corresponding 'ergative' morpheme for A is present, e.g./ y-zhw-ga/
'take (you) (it)' etc. (the original morpheme /shw/ = 2PL is assimilated
to the stem consonant in A-function only). Obviously, we have to deal
with a strong ergative pattern (S=O;A) in the singular that the marks
the verb for the given central actant (S=O) only. My simple question is
whether this pattern has good parallels in other languages. Also, I
would be interested in learning of how to explain the distribution
singular imperative S=O[;A], but plural (more or less) S=A;O.
Unfortunately, WALS does not discuss this pattern in details, as far as
I can see.....
Many thanks in advance and sorry for my possible ignorance,
Wolfgang

--

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze *

/Primary contact: /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary)

          0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office)

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-16567 // 0049-(0)89-2180-5345

Email: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
<mailto:W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> /// Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
<mailto:Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de>

Web: http://www.ats.uni-muenchen.de/personen/professoren/schulze/index.html

http://www.wolfgangschulze.in-devir.com

/Second contact: /

Katedra Germanistiký

Fakulta humanitných vied

Univerzita Mateja Béla / Banská Bystrica

Tajovského 40

SK-97401 Banská Bystrica

Tel: (00421)-(0)48-4465108

Fax: (00421)-(0)48-4465512