Conference on Grammaticography relocated to Hawai'i

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian_nordhoff at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri May 21 08:56:30 UTC 2010

Dear all,
the conference on Electronic Grammaticography announced on this list
last month will be relocated from Leipzig to Hawai'i, where it will run
as a workshop under the umbrella of the 2nd International Conference on
Language Documentation and Conservation (ICLDC2,
http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ICLDC/2011/index.html).
ICLDC2 will be held February 11-13, 2011 at the Hawai‘i Imin
International Conference Center on the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
campus. The exact date of the workshop as well as more details will be
announced in due course.

The reason for this relocation is that I have received many comments
from people wanting to attend both events and having them at the same
venue will make this considerably easier.

Topic and invited speakers remain unchanged. See the programme below. I
wish to thank all participating institutions and people for making this
short-notice relocation possible.

Best wishes
Sebastian

Full Title: Electronic Grammaticography

>>> Date: Feb-2011 (Exact date to be confirmed)
>>> Location: Manoa, Hawai'i
>>> Contact Person: Sebastian Nordhoff
>>> Meeting Email: sebastian_nordhoff at eva.mpg.de
>>> Web Site: http://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/conference/11-grammaticography2011
>>>
>>> == Meeting Description ==
>>>
>>> This meeting wants to bring together field linguists, computer
>>> scientists,and
>>> publishers with the aim of exploring production and dissemination of
>>> grammatical descriptions in electronic/hypertextual format
>>>
>>> == Call for Papers ==
>>>
>>> For long a step-child of lexicography, the domain of grammaticography has
>>> received growing interest in the recent past, especially in what concerns
>>> lesser
>>> studied languages. At least three volumes contain parts dealing with this
>>> question (Ameka et al. 2006, Gippert et al. 2006, Payne & Weber 2007).
>>>
>>> At the same time, advances in information technology mean that a number
>>> of
>>> techniques become available which can present linguistic information in
>>> novel
>>> ways. This holds true for multimedial content on the one hand (see e.g.
>>> Barwick
>>> & Thieberger 2007), but also so called content-management-systems (CMS)
>>> provide
>>> new possibilities to develop, structure and maintain linguistic
>>> information,
>>> which were unknown when the idea of an electronic grammar was first put
>>> to print
>>> in Zaefferer (1998).
>>>
>>> Recent publications in grammaticography often allude to the possibilities
>>> of
>>> hypertext grammars (Weber 2006, Evans & Dench 2006), but these
>>> possibilities are
>>> only starting to get explored theoretically (Good 2004, Nordhoff 2008)
>>> and in
>>> practice (Nordhoff 2007).
>>>
>>> This conference will bring together experts on grammar writing and
>>> information
>>> technology to discuss the theoretical and practical advantages hypertext
>>> grammars can offer. We invite papers dealing with the arts and crafts of
>>> grammar
>>> writing in a wide sense, preferably with an eye on electronic publishing.
>>> Topics
>>> of interest are:
>>>
>>> -general formal properties of all grammatical descriptions (GDs) in
>>> general, and
>>> hypertext GDs in particular
>>>
>>> -functional requirements for GDs and the responses of the traditional and
>>> the
>>> hypertext approach (cf. Nordhoff 2008)
>>>
>>> -discussion or presentation of implementations dealing with the media
>>> transition from book to electronic publication
>>>
>>> -opportunities and risks of hypertext grammars
>>>
>>> -integration with fieldwork or typological work
>>>
>>> -treatment of a particular linguistic subfield (phonology, syntax, ...)
>>> within
>>> a hypertext description
>>>
>>> Presentations will be 30 minutes + 15 minutes discussion.
>>>
>>> == Invited Speakers ==
>>> Nick Evans (Australian National University)
>>> Christian Lehmann (Universität Erfurt)
>>> Jeff Good (University of Buffalo)
>>>
>>> == Submission of Abstracts ==
>>> (a) Length: up to one page of text plus up to one page containing
>>> possible
>>> tables and references
>>> (b) Format: The abstract should include the title of the paper and the
>>> text of
>>> the abstract but not the author's name or affiliation. The e-mail message
>>> which it is attached should list the title, the author's name, and the
>>> author's
>>> affiliation. Please send the message to the following address: