Interjections for temperature

Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm tamm at LING.SU.SE
Sun Nov 14 22:27:48 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,
we are interested in interjections for talking about temperature
experiences, like "brrh" or "ugh" in Engish. The issues we are curious
about are as follows:

1. Does language X have interjections for feelings related to cold
temperature? If yes, what are those? Are these interjections
accompanied by any particular gestures and / or intonational patterns?

2. Does language X have interjections for feelings related to hot
temperature? If yes, what are those? Are these interjections
accompanied by any particular gestures and / or intonational patterns?

3. Are there other words derived from such interjections (e.g.,
regular temperature expressions like 'cold' or 'to freeze')?

We are particularly interested in the issues of universality of 'cold'
interjections (are there languages without 'cold' interjections?) and
of the possible asymmetry between 'hot' and 'cold' (do languages have
'hot' interjections at all?).

We would therefore be very grateful for any relevant data on the
languages you are familiar with.

With warmest regards,
Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm (Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm University, http://ling-asv.ling.su.se/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page)
  and Åsa Abelin (Dept. of linguistics, University of Gothenburg, http://www.flov.gu.se/om/personal/asa-abelin/