'I am a linguist', by R M W Dixon: Linguist List 21.4724, Books: General Linguistics/Linguistic Theories/Sociolinguistics: Dixon

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at LIVE.COM
Mon Nov 29 19:05:36 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

R M W Dixon's academic autobiography, 'I am a linguist', will be published in December, by Brill. Please find below a notice from Linguist list, detailing the prices etc.

I am sure many of you will enjoy this controversial book!

> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:41:47
> From: Dominique de Roo [roo at brill.nl]
> Subject: I am a Linguist: Dixon
>
> E-mail this message to a friend:
> http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4724.html&submissionid=3792095&topicid=2&msgnumber=1
>

> Title: I am a Linguist
> Publication Year: 2010
> Publisher: Brill
> http://www.brill.nl
>

> Book URL: http://brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=210&pid=44265
>

> Author: R. M. W. Dixon
>
> Paperback: ISBN: 9789004194052 Pages: 392 Price: Europe EURO 59.95
>

> Abstract:
>
> "I am a Linguist" provides a fascinating account of the academic adventures
> of multi-faceted linguist, R.M.W. (Bob) Dixon. There is fieldwork (and
> lengthy grammars) on Dyirbal, Yidiñ and other Aboriginal languages of
> Australia, the Boumaa dialect of Fijian, and Jarawara from the dense
> jungles of Amazonia. Theoretical studies include adjective classes,
> ergativity and complement clauses. There are also detective novels, science
> fiction stories, and pioneering work on blues and gospel discography.
>
> Interspersed with the autobiographical narrative are explanations of how
> linguistics is a scientific discipline, of the development of universities,
> of diminishing academic standards, and of the treatment of Aboriginal
> people in Australia.
>
> The book is written in an easy, accessible style with numerous illustrative
> anecdotes. It will be an inspiration to young linguists and of interest to
> the general reader curious about what a scientific linguist does.
>

> Brill
> http://www.brill.nl

Best wishes

Sasha

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA
Professor and Research Leader (Peoples and Societies of the Tropics)
The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
PO Box 6811
Cairns