Dunn et al. on word order typology in "Nature"

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Apr 13 22:59:39 UTC 2011

I am not sure whether this list is the appropriate venue for commenting
on the paper in Nature by Michael Dunn et al.  But since it is, as
Martin said, unusual for a typological paper to appear in Nature, and
since the paper was brought up on this list, I think some very brief
comments are in order.  My apologies to people on the list who have not
had an opportunity to read the paper.

Put briefly, the paper is based on major misunderstandings of the claims
of word order typology.  All of the results of the paper are already
familiar to me and are entirely consistent with claims that have been
made in the word order literature.  If I can take the liberty of quoting
Michael's own words from his email,

"(i) don't find many of the expected correlations"

What the paper shows is that we often don't find the expected
correlations WITHIN language families.  But there are many reasons why
we should expect this, and nothing in the word order literature would
lead us to expect otherwise.  We only expect to find the expected
correlations ACROSS families.

"(ii) find many correlations which were unexpected"

In fact, the correlations of this sort mentioned in the paper are
well-known, such as the correlation between the order of adjective and
noun and the order of relative clause and noun.  There is nothing
unexpected about these correlations.

"(iii) find that even where dependencies are found between the same
pairs of features in two lineages, the evolutionary models underlying
these dependencies are different"

There are potentially novel results here, but I see no reason to think
that these differences are due to anything other than random variation.

Matthew