WALS data in Science and Nature

Michael Dunn michael.dunn at MPI.NL
Fri Apr 15 08:30:29 UTC 2011

With regard to references to WALS in Dunn et al 2011 Nature:

WALS is properly cited in the main text. The full references to the
eight individual WALS chapters we used appear in the supplementary
materials, which in the Science/Nature format is an integral part of the
paper, and arguably the appropriate place for them, since that is where
we discuss the individual features in detail.

Nevertheless, for reasons of prominence it would have been better to
have had these individual citations in the main text, but this is
impossible in Nature, Science or PNAS formats, which all put strict
limits on references. These constraints should be borne in mind in
designing citation styles for online materials such as WALS - the
citation should be as compact as possible.

In our case, our original submitted version did have the eight
individual chapter references, but reviewers insisted on more reference
to methods, so squeezing them out.

Incidentally, we cite Matthew Dryer prominently in the text, and his
central role has clearly been recognised e.g. in the popular science
press, where he has been interviewed and quoted in a number of articles.

Michael Dunn

--
Michael Dunn, Max Planck Research Group Leader:
 Evolutionary Processes in Language and Culture