Atkinson on phoneme inventories in Science

Claire Bowern claire.bowern at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 20 16:35:05 UTC 2011

In recent work by colleagues and myself on loan rates in 'small' groups
(both hunter-gatherer and agriculturalist, under 10,000 speakers), we found
no correlation between loan rates and population size or density. We did
find a correlation between mobility and loans but in North America mobility
was a predictor of low loan rates, whereas in Australia it was a predictor
of high loan rates. The sample is 122 languages from Australia, North
America, and South America.
Claire

--

-----