Atkinson on phoneme inventories in Science

Frans Plank frans.plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Wed Apr 20 22:54:57 UTC 2011

I wonder whether this is a minor or a serious question:  Just HOW does
an individual, or a speech (sub)community, "lose" or "gain" "a
phoneme"?  Well, linguistically speaking, it's about featural
contrasts, really, and their syntagmatic incidence.   Could the
answer(s) conceivably matter?  Or can historical/developmental
phonology really be done without phonology?  But these are night
thoughts.

Come to think of it, there have been few phonologists in this debate,
so far.  They don't seem to be losing a night's sleep over the tale of
the vanished African phonemes.

Frans