'like'/'manner' as Purpose clause marker

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 18:57:10 UTC 2011

Dear Yvonne,

in some East Caucasian languages one can find converbs that combine manner
and purpose meanings (though I am not sure that the manner meaning is the
same that you need). I can give you examples from two Lezgic languages,
Lezgian and Agul.

In Lezgian, there is a converb in -wal which, when added to participles,
forms a purpose/manner converb. Examples of purpose use from Haspelmath 1993
(I cite only the translations): ‘Read aloud, so that I, too, may hear it’ or
‘My brother asked, quietly, so that Nadja wouldn’t hear him…’. Examples of
manner use in what Haspelmath calls ‘as’ clauses: ‘As can be seen from these
examples…’, ‘He did as his mother has said’, ‘Just like nature is glad when
there are bright days…’. For details see Haspelmath 1993 (A grammar of
Lezgian), pp. 392-393, 400.

In Agul, there us a marker -χildi which also attaches to participles and
forms converbs with purpose or manner meaning. The examples of use are close
to those found in Lezgian; let me cite just two from our Agul Corpus:

(1)       za-k-as                       ha-mi-sa-l
sa        dar       x.u-raj,

            I-SUB/CONT-ELAT  ha-DEMM-LOC-SUPER     one      tree
become.PF-JUSS

            …baw                         da-q-ag˳.a-χildi

            mother            NEG-RE-see.IPF-MNR

            ‘Let me become a tree here, so that my (step)mother does not see
me.’

(2)       za-s               qatːaq’.a-χildi            ze
dad-ar –
baw-ar.i…

            I-DAT             retell.IPF-MNR          my       father-PL
mother-PL(ERG)

            ‘As my parents told me… (there were only three classes in our
school before)’

Such manner/purpose converbs are not the only (and not primary) means of
expressing purpose in these languages. These forms are not used in
complement clauses, and are not used with nouns (‘like N’).

Best,

Timur Maisak

Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Sciences

http://lingvarium.org/maisak/