Negative raising

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Sat Dec 3 11:41:09 UTC 2011

Dear Linguistlist members,
David writes: <<if you say something like MARY NEG THINK JOHN SMART, this can not usually be taken to mean "Mary thinks that John is not smart". >>. Especially if you have a binary choice (such as “smart/not-smart”, or “right/wrong”, “just/not just”) the first and usual meaning of   MARY NEG THINK JOHN X  is exactly MARY  THINK JOHN IS NOT X.  Whether we have ‘NEG-raising’ or not is another question, namely if you believe  in ‘movement metaphors’ (Daniel)

Paolo

From: Everett, Daniel
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 12:08 PM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Negative raising

Martin,

Thanks for this. Aside from my clumsy use of the "S-comp" phrase, I was purposely trying to avoid using Neg-raising, because, though it is a well-established term, I was trying to focus on  the scope phenomena without a movement metaphor. Or standardized terminology (which I am not a big fan of). Also, I am mainly interested in non-European languages, which I don't believe Larry Horn or anyone else has done a survey of.

>From the replies that I have received so far there seems to be  considerable variation as to whether languages allow this or not (I will post a summary at some point).

These are excellent references, of course. Thanks for mentioning them.

-- Dan