Descriptive status of the world's languages

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian_nordhoff at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Dec 4 10:03:46 UTC 2011

Dear all,
it might be difficult to know how languages fare in 'typology', since it
is not clear which works would be part of 'typology'. Is a generative
comparison between Tamil and Icelandic already 'typology'?

The Glottolog/Langdoc project casts a wider net and looks at the general
descriptive status of the world's languages.We have collected about 200k
bibliographical records for descriptive/'typological' literature. This is
a large collection but still opportunistic: we have good coverage of
Africa and South America thanks to Youni Maho and Alain Fabre; the rest of
the world is less well covered. The distribution of works is given below.

I am not sure how this relates to Wolfgang's question, but I am sure that
some of you will find the numbers below interesting
Sebastian

All numbers refer to the quantity of works (not the quantity of references
to these works)

Areas
Africa  74787
South America  32897