Antipassives without overt expression of O

Stefanie Fauconnier stefanie.fauconnier at ARTS.KULEUVEN.BE
Tue Dec 20 16:46:05 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for examples of antipassive constructions where it is
syntactically impossible to overtly express the original O argument as
an oblique-marked adjunct.

In the following example from Tzutujil, the transitive verb has
antipassive marking. Normally, this verb takes an A and an O argument,
but in this construction it appears that only the A can be mentioned
(Dayley 1985:346).

Jaa7 ma xa ko7 nchapooni
3SG  a lot     scolds/grabs.ANTIP
'He scolds/grabs a lot'

The reverse phenomenon appears to be well attested: it is not very
difficult to find examples of passives that do not allow overt
expression of the A. It is my impression that this is not the case for
antipassives. In fact, Tzutujil is the only example I know of. Of course
this impression might be wrong, so if anyone has other examples I would
like to hear about them.

Best wishes,

Stefanie Fauconnier
University of Leuven