Quantifiers

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 26 14:44:53 UTC 2011

I’m a bit confused. Surely in everyday conversation, we use the “domain-restricted” sense of all far more often than the “unrestricted” sense (because we usually talk about a bounded domain rather than the set of all things in the universe). I would have thought that this is the default interpretation of the universal quantifier in most languages, and that if a language is missing one of the senses, it would nearly always be the unrestricted one, which seems less useful. It seems like it would be more noteworthy if there were a language which has only the unrestricted quantifier.

Perhaps I’m missing something.

Siva

--
Siva Kalyan