Quantifiers

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Tue Jul 26 17:52:46 UTC 2011

Concerning the difference between bütün and hepsi, and, more generally, between “all” and “every” (Span. todos los hombres  “all the men”vs. todo hombre “every man”) see  I.Putzu & P. Ramat, ’Articles and quantifiers in the Mediterr. languages’,in W.Bisang (ed.), Aspects of Typology and Universals, Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2001:99-132.

Best,

Prof.Paolo Ramat
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS )
Direttore del Centro "Lingue d'Europa: tipologia, storia e sociolinguistica" (LETiSS)
Viale Lungo Ticino Sforza 56
27100 Pavia
tel. ++390382375811
fax ++390382375899

From: Everett, Daniel
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:49 PM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Quantifiers

Siva,

But that IS all that most languages have, one that can be both unrestricted and restricted. And, because we tend to talk about what we know best, it will indeed be restricted by domain in most uses. However, not in all.

If a child says to their parent "But, Mom, *everyone* is going to the party!" and the mom replies "That is false, because you're not" , the parent has reminded the child of the main use (or alternative use if one prefers) of the quantifier.

If it isn't possible for a parent to use the quantifier in this way and the child's use is the only one possible, then the language, ceteris paribus, lacks unrestricted quantifiers. But this seems unlikely. And I suspect that this if for  the reasons that David Gil outlined.

-- Dan