Atkinson on phoneme inventories in Science

Søren Wichmann wichmann at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Jun 1 12:13:32 UTC 2011

Dear Typologists,

prompted by the Atkinson paper colleagues and I set out to check the
out-of-Africa correlation on a different dataset. We also checked the
correlation between phoneme inventory and population sizes. In addition,
we checked a third correlation which is also relevant, although it is
neither mentioned by Hay & Bauer nor by Atkinson, namely the inverse
relation between average word length and phoneme inventory sizes claimed
to hold by Nettle.

The data we used were more than 3000 word lists of the ASJP project:
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/ASJPHomePage.htm. We first made sure
that the number of different segments contained in a 40-item word list
can meaningfully be used as a proxy for segment inventory sizes.

All the correlations proposed were supported, including the reduction in
segment inventory sizes as the distance from Africa increases
(controlling for population size, which also decreases).

To account for the out-of-Africa correlation we prefer a different
explanation which does not rely on population sizes at all, however.
There are two reasons for this. One is that the relation between
population size and segment inventory size seems to actually be a
secondary effect of a relationship between population size and mean word
length (shorter words in larger populations). So if population size is
the ultimate driving force mean word length should also correlate with
the distance from Africa, but it doesn't. Another reason is that
populations in prehistory would mostly have been small, whether or not
they went through bottlenecks. We believe that a viable different
explanation could be successive events of language contact whose effects
would accumulate with the distance from Africa. But that doesn't detract
from the value of Atkinson's basic observation.

We intend to submit the paper to a special issue of Advances in Complex
Systems, and invite your comments. I've attached the paper, but in case
the attachment gets stripped you can also get it here:

http://wwwstaff.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/Rama-ACS.pdf

The data are here:

http://wwwstaff.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/OnlineSupplementaryMaterials.pdf

If you would like to have them in Excel you can download them from here:

http://wwwstaff.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/ACS-paper-data.zip.

Søren.