query: Where are you going?

Ruth Singer rsinger at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 3 04:00:15 UTC 2011

Hi David,

Ngampiwi anpana? (where 2sg.F-go.NP) 'Where are you going?' is the
most common greeting in Mawng (Iwaidjan, Australia). This makes sense
when you are greeting somebody who is clearly on their way somewhere.
If not, such as when one person enters a room, where the other is
seated, for example, people use Kiki kanmin? (how P.2sg-do-NP) 'How
are you?'. This is typically the greeting taught to English speakers,
probably because it matches the English greeting 'How are you?' more
closely.

I think that 'Where are you going?' type greetings are common in
Australian languages, and are found in Kriol, a contact language too,
but you'd have to ask a Kriol expert more about that.

Cheers,

Ruth

--
Ruth Singer