query: Where are you going?

Liisa Berghäll liisa.berghall at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 3 08:43:20 UTC 2011

In Mauwake (Papuan TNG language, Papua New Guinea) the traditional greetings
with motion verbs are still used, although they are being replaced by the
“(good) morning” etc. calques from English. The form of the greetings
depends on whether the people receiving the greeting are moving or
stationary.

“You are here” (sg. or pl., depending on the number of people) is said to
people who are staying somewhere instead of moving - and the reply is “I
am/we are here” ; and

“Where are you going?” or “You are going (there)” is spoken to people who
are walking towards or past the speaker - and in the answer to the first one
you either name the place or say e.g. “I’m just walking”; to the second you
reply with “(Yes), I’m going here”. “There” and “here” refer to the place
where the person is at the moment. If it is clear that the addressee is
coming to where the speaker is, the greeting is “You are coming there” and
the reply “(Yes), I’m coming here”.

Because there are so many possible forms, I’m only giving the translations
here. If you need the data as well, let me know and I’ll send it.

By the way, Jocelyne Fernandez-Vest’s comment about Finnish and some other
European languages is worth noting: what is “going” is not the person
greeted but something else: life in general, and so the question tends to be
“How?” rather than “Where?”  The person gets marked with dative in German,
and adessive in Finnish, not with nominative as a subject should be marked.

Liisa Berghäll