Free translations of genderless reference forms

Thomas E. Payne tpayne at UOREGON.EDU
Mon Mar 7 15:51:47 UTC 2011

Hello. Those of us who write in English often run into the problem that
English forces one to make a gender distinction in reference forms (e.g.,
pronouns) where the languages we work with make no such distinction. I'm
wondering whether there is a "standard" way of dealing with this by now.
Does anyone know?

I'm talking about a huge number of references, e.g., the free translations
of example sentences in a reference grammar. It can get very tedious to have
to constantly use forms like 'she/he', 'him/her'. The free translations no
longer sound "free" at all.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom