Rescheduling/relocation of the conference NOT considered at this point

Ritsuko Kikusawa ritsuko at MINPAKU.AC.JP
Wed Mar 23 21:17:10 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I’m sending out this note in response to several inquiries we have recently received about possible relocation or rescheduling of the conference. Osaka has been little affected by the earthquake, tsunami, or radioactivity, and the local Organizing Committee (who are all living a normal life in Osaka, travelling periodically to Tokyo, trying to do what we can do for those who live in affected areas) see no necessity of considering the relocation or rescheduling of the conference for the moment.

However, we have decided to extend the early registration deadline by one month despite the disadvantages that will result in the organizing procedure. The decision was made considering the responses of foreign governments and universities that have advised their citizens/employees not to visit Japan. This is a precautionary measure, however, it makes it impossible for some people to officially register for the conference. We should probably note here that some countries have decided to temporarily move their embassies away from the Tokyo area, and have chosen Osaka as their relocation site, apparently considering that this city is unlikely to be affected by the problems in the north.

The Japanese population, including us, are carefully monitoring the situation for any developments that may affect us. We know also that our conference is still four months away and any problems that may arise in the near future should be well taken care of before then.

I thank you again for the messages with supports and encouragements we have continuously been receiving since the incident. I hope all of you for now join us as we calmly watch how the situation with the nuclear plants develops (or rather, improves) in the next few weeks. And again, I would like to express my sincere condolences for those who live in the affected areas.

KIKUSAWA Ritsuko
Director, ICHL20 Organizing Committee

** It is just over 600 km between Fukushima and Osaka as the crow flies.
** For those who are interested, the reading of environmental radioactivity levels is available in English at the following website of the Japanese Ministry of Education:
http://www.mext.go.jp/english/radioactivity_level/detail/1303986.htm
(Listed by prefectures; organized from the north to the south)