Mouton "discounts" for ALT members

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Fri Nov 11 02:12:40 UTC 2011

Dear Mark,
I don't know if it can be called a solution but one possibility for
authors is to submit to open-access monograph series that welcome
descriptive materials, e.g., Cadernos de Etnolinguistica for
(South-)Americanists or Himalayan Linguistics Archive for
Himalayanists, or even the MPI EVA Language Description Heritage
repository (ldh.livingsources.org/) then it'll be accessible to any
scholar with a computer and some indirect or direct access to the
internet. I suppose few authors are ready to do this because of the
prestige associated with the magna publishers. But the prestige comes
from senior scholars acting as series editors, reviewers and the like,
who might as well do this for an open-access publisher. I have never
understood why senior scholars continue to do this instead of doing
the same for an open-access publisher. Perhaps someone who knows
better could comment?

If you are thinking of a printed and bound version to be affordable to
a member of the speaker community who is not necessarily a scholar or
has access to a computer, it seems possible to have a local publisher
publish the grammar/dictionary giving a much more reasonable price. I
believe Robbins Burling did exactly this, with a publisher somewhere in
NE India (so it should be comparable to your case) but I don't know what
the exact price was and whether it was affordable and actually bought
by many interested locals.

It is sometimes argued that high book (& journal) prices is necessary
and justified for added value and development of infrastructure with
frontline publishing companies. But the overview of profit margins with
academic publishers by McGuigan and Russell [1] claims that this is not
at all enough to explain the profit margins (and thus, in turn, the book/
journal prices). For this they cite a report from an analysis conducted
under Deutsche Bank which I have not read, but in any case, does anyone
know the specifics for de Gruyter, Mouton, and/or the MGL book series, i.e.,
what are their profit margins and what is the added value they can be
said to bring?

all the best,

[1]
Glenn S. McGuigan and Robert D. Russell, 2008. The Business of Academic
Publishing: A Strategic Analysis of the Academic Journal Publishing
Industry and its Impact on the Future of Scholarly Publishing. Electronic
Journal of Academic and Special Librarianship, volume 9, number 3.
http://southernlibrarianship.icaap.org/content/v09n03/mcguigan_g01.html