Mouton "discounts" for ALT members

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Mon Nov 14 16:45:55 UTC 2011

I agree with Scott's take on this. Bill was simply saying that a publisher that offered affordable books has made a policy decision to raise the prices beyond individual affordability and that this has a negative impact on research.

I have no idea how Mouton is doing financially. I know that all publishers are hurting tremendously, laying off people right and left. Authors are receiving less. Agents are receiving less. It is a business in crisis.

There are no villains here. Linguists want to buy grammars. Mouton wants to sell them. We will likely both need to find a space that allows Mouton to make a profit (it definitely should) and be able to survive, but that allows science to count on the excellent material it publishes.

-- Dan

Daniel L. Everett
Dean of Arts and Sciences, Ph.D.
Bentley University