Publishing

Don Killian donald.killian at HELSINKI.FI
Tue Nov 15 17:37:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

In about 3 years time, I'll be one of those documentary linguists, so
this question is very pertinent for me.  I don't necessarily have to
publish my grammar in a place which is prestigious, particularly if it
limits access of my work only to individuals working in wealthy
institutions, but I would like to have it published in a place which is
peer-reviewed and respected.  If I were to publish with Mouton, the
current prices may mean that my grammar would be read by very few
people, or pirated instead.  This is not to disparage Mouton; I hold Uri
in the highest regard, and when I've interacted with Mouton before
they've always been helpful and courteous, even when I've brought up the
subject of prices directly to the company. Furthermore, there are some
excellent grammars published in the MGL series... classics which have
been cited or quoted thousands of times.

However, my linguistic consultants have already expressed interest in a
copy of my grammar when it's finished, and they unfortunately would not
have the financial means to legally purchase the book at current
prices.. even with free author copies, my consultants would more than
likely not be the only interested members of the community unable to
afford it.  People in Sudan and Ethiopia can afford books at 10-20 USD,
but not 200, and I don't want to have to make a choice between my career
and the language community I worked with.

These are fairly weighty topics we're discussing, and I'd like to hear
more opinions from the famous/well-respected linguists about this
subject, as they will be the ones to make the most difference in terms
of publishing outlets.  I realize that they also tend to be the busiest,
but this discussion impacts our entire field in a rather significant
way.  No matter how excited, hard-working, and organized young linguists
are, we simply won't be able to break through the tradition enough to
create online publishing resources without the help of established
scholars.

Some have already made suggestions, but many others have remained quiet,
such as Ian Maddieson and Matthew Dryer.  I hope it's not rude to ask
people so directly involved, but I'd really like to hear your opinions.
And Frans, since you are involved with Linguistic Typology, I'd like to
hear your thoughts as well about quality publishing at more affordable
costs?  Do people like Martin's ALT champions league, or are there
alternate views?

Bill mentioned being pessimistic about breaking tradition, but I don't
see it as necessarily breaking tradition.  If the tradition-establishers
voice their opinions and become involved, change could happen more
quickly, yet peacefully, than could otherwise be expected.

Best,

Don