ALT Grammar Incubator

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian_nordhoff at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Nov 15 19:33:48 UTC 2011

Dear all,
just copying the structure of a publisher of manuscript acquisition,
evaluation, and distribution will probably not work. There is a reason why
Mouton employs a full time editor for linguistics, several secretaries
etc. The reason is that it is a hell lot of work to do all those things.
If we try to set up Yet Another Publishing House, we are likely to a) be
less professional and b) have *higher* running costs than Mouton with
their centuries of know-how.

Basically, when the manuscript is ready for top quality publication, it is
too late. Chances are very low that researchers will forgo the chance of
getting a prestige publication in return for good karma alone when the
camera-ready copy is there. Fortunately for us, it can take forever to get
your grammar out (writing, revising, formatting), and this is what ALT can
use as a starting point. Speed of dissemination can be the USP (Unique
Selling Proposition)  of an ALT Grammar Repository.

This means that we have to get the manuscripts earlier, i.e. in early
draft stage.
One such possibility would be the "ALT Grammar Incubator". This would be a
place where grammar writers can deposit preliminary versions of their
grammars and publish revisions as their analyses gain maturity. This
incubator would have feedback mechanisms where readers can suggest
alternative analyses or new directions of research. This is a win-win
situation for readers and writers: readers get to see bleeding edge data
of the languages being worked on, and authors get invaluable feedback from
expert readers.

Best
Sebastian