stable publication vs. crowdsourcing

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Nov 17 08:10:56 UTC 2011

What we are observing is an interesting tension between a technological
revolution and social conservatism: While our information machines now
allow us to do many more things than we even imagined thirty years ago,
the social world we inhabit is still the same.

In the social world of science, what counts is scientific publications
and citations in scientific publications. One could imagine different
ways of measuring scientific merit, but at the moment we can probably
take this as a given.

This means that we need publication outlets that ensure (1) free
accessibility, (2) stability (allowing for citation), and (3)
selectivity (giving prestige to the publication). So this is just what
Nigel Vincent, Alexis Dimitriadis and Christian Lehmann proposed.

Crowdsourcing is a great idea and it has worked for a number of
projects, most notably Wikipedia, but it hasn't really worked in science
so far, as far as I know. In linguistics, there are three crowdsourcing
projects that I know of, two of which I've been involved in:

– Glottopedia, an attempt to create a multilingual dictionary of
linguistic terminology (plus more), see http://www.glottopedia.org
– Syntactic Structures of the World's Languages (see
http://sswl.railsplayground.net/)
– The blog comment function of WALS, where every chapter and every
datapoint can be commented on (see, e.g.,
http://blog.wals.info/datapoint-111a-wals_code_eng/)

None of these have been great successes, as far as I can tell. It could
be that there is no intrinsic reason for this, and that in the future
such projects will be more successful. But I suspect that the reason why
crowdsourcing doesn't work well in science is that contributing to such
a project doesn't pay off. The currency in science is publication and
citation, and such crowdsourced resources neither count as publications
nor can they be cited. (This could change in the future, of course;
Michael Cysouw has been developing a concept of "micropublications", but
at the moment this is rather utopian.)

So at the moment is seems that we should concentrate our efforts on
creating better publication outlets for prestigious open-access
publications. There are some good open-access journals, but they are not
sufficiently prestigious yet. To give them prestige, we need more
publications by senior scholars in these open-access journals.
Non-tenured junior linguists often cannot afford to publish in journals
that are not yet very prestigious.

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6