SOV original word order?

Johanna Nichols johanna at BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Oct 15 21:04:47 UTC 2011

This is grossly irresponsible on PNAS's part.  The authors don't even know
the basic literature on word order, genealogical classification of
languages, stability of word order, or mathematics and statistics of type
changes in populations.  (This is based on reading just the abstract.
I'll now read the paper.)  I know that PNAS submissions communicated by an
NAS member (Gell-Mann must be one) get in without much formality, but do
they do no peer review whatsoever??

Johanna Nichols