Literacy

Daniel Hieber dwhieb at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 13 06:13:16 UTC 2011

>From the perspective of linguistic anthropology, I think it's also worth
pointing out that communities define what it means to be literate in
different ways. Peter Austin pointed out at the LSA recently that certain
communities have wanted writing systems developed for their language
primarily for the purpose of being able to send text messages. I would argue
that this constitutes a legitimate form of literacy. And Ahearn
(2001)<http://www.amazon.com/Invitations-Love-Literacy-Letters-Social/dp/0472067842>has
written about love letters in Nepal as the primary use for literacy
among women. From a slightly different angle, Heath
(2009)<http://www.jstor.org/pss/4167291>notes that children are
socialized in their literacy practices in very
different ways, but that generally only one of these ways tends to be
represented in formal schooling. Ultimately, I think aggregate statistics
like UNESCO's are largely unhelpful, and have a tendency to deceive us into
thinking that the situation is less nuanced than it really is.

And (turning now to the economic perspective), the UNESCO statistics are an
interesting example of Friedrich von Hayek's famous problem of the use of
knowledge in society <http://www.econlib.org/library/Essays/hykKnw1.html>,
where the central planning authority needs their data to be as simple and
aggregated as possible in order to make decisions regarding problems of
immense complexity. Such simplistic perspectives lend themselves towards
policy recommendations which are themselves simplistic and homogenizing. A
policy or program which simply promotes 'literacy' with no further
elucidation of the concept is likely to erode local literacy practices and
replace them with ones that date back to the Prussian education model. It's
a serious problem for policies concerning both literacy and language alike.

--
Daniel Hieber
Associate Researcher

Omnis habet sua dona dies.