passive/causative homonymy

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Fri Sep 16 11:24:34 UTC 2011

Dear friends,
I'm currently working on instances of passive/causative homonymy. Let me
just give two examples from Manchu (Tungus) to illustrate the problem:

Passive:
/tere         inenggi         mi-ni            jakûn     morin
            hûlha-*bu*-fi/
that         day               1SG-GEN     eight      horse:NOM
steal-*PASS*-PFV:CNV
'On that day my eight horses were stolen (by bandits).'

Causative:
/bi                morin    be        ule-*bu*-me/
1SG:NOM   horse    ACC     drink-*CAUS*-IPFV:CNV
'I let the horse drink (water).'

For /-bu-/ marking the causative we might think of the verb /bu-/ 'give'
as a potential source of grammaticalization. However, it is far from
being clear whether the same /-bu-/ is present in the passive form.
Usually, /-bu-/ is said to represent a homonymous pair, not an instance
of polysemy. However note that in some other Tungus languages, the
formal merger of passive and causative may show up, too (apart from
another, specialized passive morpheme). Similar instances occur in
Korean (e.g.  c/ap-hita/ 'let/have catch, be caught', /mul-lita/
'have/let bite, be bitten' etc.). Again, grammars normally speak of
secondary homonymy due to specific sound processes. Nevertheless, I'm
not sure whether the parallel between (Southern) Tungus and Korean is
mere coincidence (given the fact that the languages at issue are spoken
in relative neighborhood). However, before trying to provide an
explanation based on the assumption of the presence of polysemy (that
would be rather complex in nature - I do not want to bother you with
this here), I would be eager to learn whether there are other languages
that exhibit the same type of homonymy, that is a single (!) strategy
(morphological or analytic) to encode passives and causatives. Likewise,
I'm totally ignorant whether this phenomenon has already been discussed
in the literature (my fault, I admit!). So, I would be extremely
thankful, if you could tell me about helpful references and whether
there are other languages  that show analogous strategies. Maybe
Estonian is another candidate,  cf. /soovi-ta /'be wished' ~ '*have
something being wished' ~ '*have s.o. wish' > 'recommend', but I'm not
sure whether I have got these data right.

Very best wishes,
Wolfgang

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze *

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary)

0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office)

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-5345

Email: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
<mailto:W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>/// Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
<mailto:Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de>

Web: http://www.ats.lmu.de/index.html

Personal homepage: http://www.wolfgangschulze.in-devir.com

Diese e-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind bzw.
diese e-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte umgehend
den Absender und vernichten Sie diese e-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
sowie das unbefugte Verwenden und Weitergeben vertraulicher e-Mails oder
etwaiger, mit solchen e-Mails verbundener Anhänge im Ganzen oder in
Teilen ist nicht gestattet. Ferner wird die Haftung für jeglichen
Verlust oder Schaden, insbesondere durch virenbefallene e-Mails
ausgeschlossen.