passive/causative homonymy

Geoffrey Haig geoffrey.haig at UNI-BAMBERG.DE
Fri Sep 16 14:13:34 UTC 2011

Dear Wolfgang,

It may be worth looking a little more closely the semantics of the
‘causatives’ you are investigating. Some causatives are open to a ‘let,
allow’ interpretation, while others only permit the cause/coercion
interpretation. In the former case, “causers” can end up looking rather
‘unagentive’, and the distance to a passive may not be as far as it
would appear at first glance.

  Turkish is a case in point: the causative morpheme (with various
allomorphs, some irregular) is open to both ‘cause’, but also to ‘let
happen, be unable to prevent’ readings. Thus the causative verb
kaç-ır-mak (go away-caus-inf) can mean both ‘kidnap, abduct (a person)’,
or ‘miss (an opportunity, a train etc.)’.

The following example (from Göksel and Kerslake’s grammar (p.147), I
have added glosses) is quite similar semantically to your passive
example with the ‘bandits’:

Sule el-i-ni makina-ya kap-tır-dı
Shule hand-poss3s-acc maschine-dat catch-caus-pst(3s)

'Shule got her hand caught in the machine'

  Of course here, the possessor of the affected entity here winds up as
the subject, while in your passive example it’s a genitive attribute.
But the semantic overlaps seem worthy of following up.

Best wishes
Geoff