passive/causative homonymy

Silvia Luraghi luraghi at UNIPV.IT
Fri Sep 16 20:26:04 UTC 2011

Dear Wolfgang,
the Italian causative with 'fare' works in very
much the same way as the Turkish causative
described by Geoffrey. Look at the following sentence regarding a soccer match:

ha      commesso un errore incredibile:     si
e'       fatto rubare         la   palla e     la Germania ha pareggiato.
he-has committed a mistake terrible        refl
he-is made steale(INF) the ball  and the Germany has drawn
"he did a terrible mistake: he had the ball taken
away and Germany drew the match"

The two Manchu sentences you quote would sound like this in Italian

'On that day my eight horses were stolen (by
bandits).' = Quel giorno mi (refl.1sg) sono fatto
(caus) rubare otto cavalli (dai banditi)

'I let the horse drink (water).' = Ho fatto (caus) bere il cavallo'.
(auxiliary change depends on the occurrence/non occurrence of a reflexive)

Note further that the reflexive particles 'si'
and 'mi in the Italian sentences are also used in
external possession constructions.

Best wishes
Silvia